Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer


Kris Patterson became the first three-time winner of the Barney Oldfield race Saturday night at Oakshade Raceway in an exciting finish with Matt Miller.

A pair of Millers, Hillard Miller and Matt Miller, started on the front row of the 40-lap late model feature event, but Hillard Miller retired to the pits on the first lap and was done for the night. Matt Miller, on the other hand, pulled out to a big lead for the first half of the race.

Jeep Van Wormer, Troy Catterene and Mike McKnight tangled on lap three bringing out the first caution of the event.

Matt Miller continued to lead as Brian McCabe brought out another caution on lap 22 after he spun in turn two. Ken Hahn brought out the yellow once again when he lost a wheel on lap 28.

On the restart, Kris Patterson, who started 13th, and Shane Yoder moved around Brian Ruhlman to take over second and third behind Matt Miller.

The final ten laps featured a great battle between two veteran drivers for the lead. Miller and Patterson battled lap after lap, side by side, exchanging the lead back and forth at the line.

Then with about three laps to go, Miller was able to pull back ahead of Patterson, but the packed crowd came to its feet as the lead duo took the white flag. Miller came upon a lapped car and had to check up ever so slightly, but it was just enough for Patterson to pounce to the inside and steal the lead away in turns one and two.

Patterson’s amazing last lap pass earned him the $3,900 prize money as well as his third late model feature win of the year. Matt Miller settled for second place with Shane Yoder finishing third.

Once everyone had a chance to catch their breath, the sportsman feature was next to take to the track. Brad Kendall, Jeff Brown and Tim Shelley battled three wide early in the race for the lead until the first caution flag flew for the 3F of Brian Fisher.

Joe Derbeck and Ray Klaywitter worked their way toward the front with Derbeck taking the lead on lap six. Devin Shiels eventually got by Klaywitter for second.

A late caution set up a two-lap shootout for the finish. Derbeck proved to be too strong and when on to win his second sportsman feature of the year. Shiels finished second with Klaywitter third.

Robert Gregory won the bomber A Main after starting on the pole and leading every lap. Gary Cole who ran right on Gregory’s rear bumper for most of the race made a final attempt to get to the inside of Gregory in the final corner of the race, but had to settle for a second place finish. Josh Steinacker finished third and Bob Rendel took fourth.

Jarrett Rendel lost a wheel on the start of the bomber B Main forcing him out of competition. Mitch Betz went on to open up a big lead and won the race easily despite Josh Caudill’s late race charge toward the front.

Tim Strohaver took a wild ride early in the bomber C Main and ended upside down on his lid. It happened after Steve Reeves and Strohaver made contact coming off turn four. Strohaver then bounced off the front stretch wall and came back across the track in front of traffic. Strohaver clipped the rear of Josh Short and then rolled over. No one was hurt in the incident.

Once racing resumed, Andy Borton led the way, but then fell off the pace turning the lead over to David Goben from Toledo, OH who won easily over John Clark, Steve Reeves and Terry Mcvey.

More exciting racing is schedule for this coming Saturday at Oakshade Raceway with the second American Late Model Series event of the year. Sportsman/trucks and bombers will also be in competition.